13-year-old Nick Lamb was in a deep sleep when all of a sudden his two-year-old pit bull, Ace, started licking his face.
Nick, who was born deaf, was taking a nap, but was woken up by the pup. When he opened his eyes, he realized something wasn’t right. That’s when he saw the smoke in his room and smelled it coming from somewhere.
“He woke me up because I couldn’t hear anything, and I was asleep,” Nick said. He has a cochlear implant which he had switched off at the time.
Nick covered his nose and mouth with a T-shirt so that he wouldn’t inhale any smoke, and then made his way out of the house to safety.
He immediately texted his mom, who of course panicked when she heard what was going on. Then she called the fire department who quickly arrived to the scene to put out the fire.
The fire caused over $175,000 worth of damage to the house, but thankfully Nick, Ace, and their cat, Pixie, were all safe!
It’s amazing how smart dogs are. Ace saved Nick’s life!