Firefighter Paul McNeely and his colleagues of the Abingdon Volunteer Fire & Rescue in Virginia responded to a house fire and quickly got word that there was an unconscious dog trapped inside.
McNeely, who had a bodycam on, ran inside the burning home and found the dog, named Roxy, lying unconscious on the floor in one of the rooms. He lifted her up, rushed her outside, and immediately put an oxygen mask on her. Roxy’s doggy sister, Daisy, had also been saved prior to that and was already receiving treatment.
McNeely’s bodycam caught the dramatic rescue on tape. The medics went through four oxygen tanks in an hour to help bring Roxy and Daisy back to life. The pups finally began to show signs of life, and the firefighters were shocked, but extremely relieved.
A week after the fire, PETA arranged for the dogs to be reunited with rescuers. McNeely held back tears reminiscing about the scary events that unfolded.
“When we came back to the station it made us feel good,” McNeely told PETA. “It made us all feel good. You can’t save them all but it feels good when you do.”
PETA presented the rescuers with the Compassionate Fire Department Award for their heroics.